Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Worship @ Horizon San Diego

I had the wonderful opportunity to lead worship at Horizon San Diego's Second Saturday Singles Group last Saturday night. Now, normally it wouldn't necessarily be something that I would write about, however this weekend was special for me. Not only did I get to take a couple of the students from our High School Team down with me, but my sister met me there and got to sing with me for the first time.

My sister and I go way back... duh! (spiritually speaking). There was a time when both of us were walking in darkness. And then, all of a sudden I got the urge to sing like the guys from Simon and Garfunkel... you know, Simon and Garfunkel? Yeah, the two guys with the killer harmonies. Here's the problem... I didn't know how to sing at all. I'd never even thought of singing before. So two of my friends invited me to join the newly forming choir at Horizon San Diego to learn how to sing (this was in the early 90s). So I did and before I knew it I was giving my life to the Lord. I didn't even see it coming! It was awesome!

Now, my sister was pretty upset with God at the time because she had just gone through a divorce. Well, being the upstanding "Christian Warrior" that I now was, I knew that there was only one thing to do... preach, preach, preach... uhh... not so much. I quickly learned that I had missed the memo. The one thing I really needed to do was not preach, preach, preach, but pray, pray, pray. In fact God made that very clear to me one afternoon while praying for her. So I did. I began to pray, pray, pray. And pretty soon, she began asking questions, going to Church and eventually gave her life to the Lord. Now she's the one who preach, preach, preaches at me. And I love it.

So, you can imagine how special it was for me to lead worship with her by my side. Not to mention the fact that "there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home..." I do miss my Horizon home just a little.

Thanks for setting that up sis...

2 comments:

alex mclean said...

that's awesome bro. I always love hearing that story.

Anonymous said...

Dude! That is so awesome. Family is so precious and it is wonderful that you can do things like that together.