Friday, January 11, 2008

Paid Positions in Church?

I was reading a blog on Rich's page called "Is Church Ministry a Waste of Time?" and it got me started down this line of thought. Obviously, ministry is so much more than Sunday morning Church, right? So here's the question in my head...

"What if there were no Church?" Or better yet, to all of you paid employees of the Established Church, "What if there were no paid position for you in the Church?" Would you still do the things that you do?

I'm sure that many of you have gone down this line of thought at one point in your ministry career, "I wish I was a layman again so that I could do ministry the way that I really want to!" And then you realize that if you were a layperson that you wouldn't be able to do half the things you can do as a full-time employee of the Church.

What a dilema. I don't know what good this post has done, other than make me think...

Am I doing ministry the way that I would if I weren't employed by the Church? If not, why not?

What would you do differently in ministry if you weren't employed by the Church?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes! ...and...no

I would love to lead worship, but...there's a lot of stuff I would just as well not do

Rob Tremonte said...

Personally, I have not been on paid staff for some time now.. however, that has not deterred me from ministering to people in and out of the church.

Becoming a good listener, and learning how to constantly be aware of what God IS doing and NOT doing.. propels ministry.. instead of creating something that He has not told you to do. I find that we think God wants us to create something and then He will show up.. but on the other hand.. He wants us to BECOME love.. and in doing so, just like Jesus, we find what the Father is doing in every moment and fulfill LOVES purpose.

I believe, with all of my core being, that when we become love, we love the very things God loves. He loves His church. What is the church? His people gathered together!! Learning how to Love on each other and put each others lives before our very own!! Are we there yet in the American church? I don't think so, we are attempting.. Are churches and people outside the US doing that... Yep. I have seen it with my own eyes. And when people become love, love overflows and moves lives and character..Heals the sick and makes pain whole... sets the demonized free and moves their destiny towards the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

I don't comment much on blogs, but this post hit close to home and I felt like sharing a little bit.. ;)

eric beeman said...

Bring it Rob... Love it!

I'm tired of creating things and then asking God to bless them. I prefer putting the sails up and letting the Holy Spirit move me where He wants me. It's not always where I would choose to go or what I would choose to do, but it always seems to be the best for me and my family.

That's how I got to Chorus... And thank God for that!

Rob Tremonte said...

That's awesome!! What's neat about you Eric is that you want more of HIM.. and what HE wants... that's a wonderful attribute of your character.. and that is why God will give you more of Him.. even when others give you grief! hehe...

Love ya man!

Vince said...

I have really enjoyed the connection with reality that tent making has brought over the last two years. It has been a struggle. I think the average person is easier to connect with when they know I slug it out in a job just like they do every day. It helps that I run my own business too.

eric beeman said...

ditto on that Vince... my career as a teacher has been a huge connection point with "average people"... as well as the "not so average people"...

lol...