Friday, April 18, 2008

Amp Mod

Okay, so it's official. My buddy Andy is a genius. I had this little Crate VC 508 tube amp that I liked because of the fact that as a tube amp it had some warmth and it was small. However, I didn't like the fact that it had this solid state gain control on it and that I couldn't turn it up past 2 without getting this nasty overdrive sound. Well Andy not only took care of that little problem, but he converted it into a head and cab model. And he did it all while his wife is super sick. What a guy!

I used it last weekend and it worked great!

It used to look like this...



Now it looks like this (notice Andy's dog in the background!)...



And sounds like this...



Okay, maybe not quite like that, but it's closer than it was before the mod!

Andy did a cool write up over at his page with some better pictures and a complete description of what he did. Check it out.

Thanks Andy!

1 comment:

Karl said...

Andy rocks.

That seriously looks killer!